Ancestral Roofs

"In Praise of Older Buildings"

Tuesday, October 6, 2020

Or is it just me...?


During my dear husband's final autumn in 2020, we spent many hours in Kingston while he received attention at the fine hospital. I spent hours amidst the city's changing foliage, wandering Kingston streets within a half-hour or so of KGH. One reason is the biological imperative. As non-patients were forbidden access to the comforts of the hospital, due to the exigencies of the pandemic, one was forced to seek relief  either at the top of City Park, or the extreme west end of Breakwater Park, a heart-healthy 20 to 25 minutes away. There was an evil genius at work. Upon arriving at one biffy, signs often directed the sufferer to the other, maintenance being promised. Nevertheless, there was always plenty to see (a needed distraction) on the quest. And this house along King Street never fails to delight me. I tried several times  one day to capture the classical calm, the brilliant foliage, and the shadow, all of which put me in mind of one of Lauren Harris' early Toronto houses. Sadly, trees on either side prevented me getting what I wanted (the theme of the walk.) Streetview did a rather better job, actually, from the intersection, safer in a vehicle than on foot. But really, is not the genius in the light? 

If I may, a couple of Harris houses to make the point. 


No comments:

Post a Comment