Ancestral Roofs

"In Praise of Older Buildings"

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Light on Dark Corners

A few months back, I wrote a little article for a Brighton leisure magazine about the history of the Presqu'ile lighthouse. When I was at the park last week, I paid a visit, as I always do, admiring the pleasure craft on the bay, reading the historical interpretation plaques, smiling into the sun as I sit on the beach. Such a different time it was, when this lighthouse and, later, the humble lightkeeper's cottage came into being. The point was a treacherous and fearsome place - so many lives and fortunes lost in the days of sail and steam.

When you next visit the park, drop by the lighthouse. Enjoy the gift shop and support the work of the amazing Friends of Presqu'ile. Walk the winding brick path, read the plaques, time travel. You may even run into the artist in the park.


Presqu'ile is so rich in history, in nature, in opportunities for recreation and relaxation. And thanks to the sacrifices and the work of so many, past and present, it's ours to enjoy, right down the road.

2 comments:

  1. Perhaps in the fall, if I visit you at the park, we can see the lighthouse?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...or we can day-trip anytime you're in the country :-/
    I have a park pass so it's free fun!

    ReplyDelete