Ancestral Roofs

"In Praise of Older Buildings"

Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Abby Seeing You

I love it when someone who reads the blog gets in touch with a story, or relates a connection to something I have written.

That happened this week. I had written about this handsome 1920 Craftsman Bungalow. Its name is Trethewey, and it's an Abbotsford B.C. Heritage Site. Almost immediately, friends who live in Abbotsford got in touch, and we reminisced about our visit there 2 years ago. And made plans for a return. The friends call their adopted home town Abby.


I contacted the Trethewey House Heritage website to let them know I'd been talking about them behind their back, and was delighted to get an email response. They commented on  my observation that the design was almost pattern-book Craftsman Bungalow, but having read that the builder-owner was a lumber baron, I knew that he wouldn't have availed himself of a mail-order kit, with all the wood components, joists, studwork and lumber. Turns out I was half right! Mr. Joseph Ogle Tretheway had indeed "purchased the blueprint from a Sears and Roebuck catalogue."

I did a search for 1915-1920 Sears Roebuck home plans, and the closest I could come up with, among the Edwardian Foursquares, 'olde English' styles and Cape Cods was the 'The Bandon." Maybe the good folks in Abby can provide more insights?

And the good folks at Trethewey invited us to tour on our return. Which we will endeavour to do. 2021.

No comments:

Post a Comment