Ancestral Roofs

"In Praise of Older Buildings"

Thursday, March 22, 2012

...the swimmers will rule the world

This wonderful structure drew me from the moment I first spotted it...as I walked the Lakeshore Drive overpass from the foot of Roncesvalles, hurrying into communion with the lake shrouded in mist. I took lots of shots as I approached it - mirage-like in the fog, its amusement park architecture such an anachronism. But how grateful I am to make its acquaintance, the Sunnyside Bathing Pavilion, built in 1922, restored 1980. Its grandeur belies its intended use - as a changing room for lake bathers (starting a long tradition immortalized by our Marilyn Bell). No-one counted on the water being so cold, so a pool was added later. "Ain't we got fun?"

I've just been reading about all the changes that occurred along the waterfront, as the city grew and changed the actual land and shore it was started on. So much of the original lake shore is paved over - but it's a traffic jam with a great view.

No comments:

Post a Comment