Ancestral Roofs

"In Praise of Older Buildings"

Saturday, February 7, 2015

Check it Out

Public Buildings.
The series.
I have just opened three great books on civic buildings, and in my enthusiasm to capture new stuff I am reading, I have started posts on courthouses, registry offices, town halls.

Schools, railway (not those Yankee railroad stations, explains my train aficionado friend Larry) stations and firehalls are in the neighbourhood.
Woodstock, N.B.

But libraries - ah libraries, those wonderful gifts of free knowledge which in and of themselves would justify every one of my tax dollars - just jumped to first place in the queue thanks to a delightful link that I'm  exploring, thanks to an article in yesterday's post of the Built Heritage News, edited by Catherine Nasmith (a remarkable online newsletter on current heritage architecture stories, quick, go sign up).
Belleville's old Corby library
The article features Daniel Rotsztain, an enterprising geographer who used a recent period of unemployment to create pen and ink drawing of most of Toronto's public libraries. He calls his website allthelibraries "a love letter to the library." I adore and envy  his skilful line drawings and his ability to capture the simplicity of moderne structures and the intricate detail of beaux arts branches, and make it look easy.



courtesy Eric Pierce
Daniel is also online at the urban geographer, and writes for Torontoist, celebrating life and built heritage (of all vintages) in our biggest city. I've run across his articles here and there; glad to be connected to the home base of this prolific and informed and enthusiastic writer.
used with permission of the artist, Peggy Holcroft-Cameron

And since we're on the topic of libraries in art, here's a painting of Sarnia Library done by talented local artist, and my friend, Peggy Holcroft-Cameron. Peggy regularly accepts commissions to portray heritage buildings (this one was done for a Belleville client). She has painted Belleville City Hall, Glanmore NHS, and one of my favourites, the Bellevue Terrace on Patterson Street.

No comments:

Post a Comment